Appalachian Coal Country Team News
Position Available: Program Director — Western Hardrock Watershed Team
by OSM / VISTA Teams
July 23, 2012
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Durango, CO
The Program Director is responsible for program management and development of the Western Hardrock Watershed Team (WHWT).The Director will oversee the success of the OSM/VISTA Team through site recruitment, VISTA placement, site supervisor support, detailed reporting and other program initiatives.The Program Director will supervise two OSM/VISTA leaders and will work very closely and receive direction from the OSM Project Officer and will report to the Executive Director of Inter-regional Initiatives.
Essential Accountabilities and Functions:
Team and Partnership Development
- Develop strategic partnerships with potential sites to host OSM/VISTAs
- Help with VISTA Assignment Description development and review
- Develop and maintain partnership with funders and grant makers
- Coordinate and manage special team initiatives
- Manage reporting and outreach with funders and partners
- Write yearly re-applications to Colorado AmeriCorps VISTA State Office
- Represent WHWT at national, regional, and statewide conferences and make presentation about the Team and its successes
Member and Partner Support
- Organize and implement bi-yearly training and orientation for OSM/VISTAs
- Coordinate and conduct new supervisor orientations and monthly supervisor calls
- Review renewal information from existing sites
- Oversee OSM/VISTA recruiting and intake process
- Oversee and promote successful support of the team as OSM/VISTAs by OSM/VISTA Leaders
- Resolve any site member/supervisor conflicts, facilitate resolution of any grievances
Coordinate Team Marketing and Outreach
- Oversee team marketing, outreach and regular reporting
- Oversee specific reporting initiatives
- Promote team accomplishments to funders, partners, AmeriCorps state office and CNCS
- Nominate the team for recognition and awards
- Promote the team via media, community outreach and events
- Ensure maintenance of WHWT website and manage WHWT apparel
- Collect and share success stories from team and alumni
- Supervise and manage two OSM/VISTA Leaders
- Delegate responsibilities as applicable to insure even workload and work with SCC staff on necessary administrative details
- Manage budget for the WHWT by working with OSM Project Officer and SCC Staff
- Assist with invoicing for OSM/VISTAs and track site payments
- Insure good communication between WHWT and ACCT Support Offices
- Insure overall administrative systems and processes are working for all aspects of program
- Maintain systems for overall management and accountability of budget, OSM/VISTAs and sites
- Serve as contact with VISTA State Office for any programmatic updates and compliance issues
Regional and Organizational Support
- Maintain productive relationships and interface significantly with the other SCC and ACCT staff to provide assistance and communication regarding administrative details, program items and potentially identify areas of mutual benefit.
To successfully perform essential functions the Program Director is required to sit, stand, walk, speak and hear. The Program Director may be required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl on an infrequent basis. He/she must be able to operate office equipment, telephone, and computer and reach with hands and arms. The ability to drive an SCC vehicle is also required. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 2 years leadership experience in non-profit organization or similar environment.
- Flexibility, adaptability and capacity to work in a fluid, changing work environment.
- The ability to communicate effectively with all staff in the organization and to understand financial needs as they arise.
- Excellent communication skills including both written and oral
- Bachelor's Degree or higher preferred
- Valid driver's license, insurable driving record and acceptable background check
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications and ability to manage information in an organizational database.
$37,000 per year, plus benefits.
Please send a letter of interest, résumé and short writing sample to: Amy Foss, Executive Director of Inter-regional Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org
Position open until filled with preference given to applications received on or before August 8th.