Earn your Master's as an OSM/VISTA
The Appalachian Coal Country Team has partnered with Michigan Tech to provide opportunities to earn a Master's degree through a combination of OSM/VISTA service and classroom instruction. The OSM/VISTA - Michigan Technological University Masters Program will simultaneously advance the five core goals of the OSM/VISTA Teams and the University to provide an opportunity for students to combine academic course work with practical field experience and to enhance ongoing volunteer activities at the University. The program will also contribute to more effective OSM/VISTA Volunteer service in the appropriate academic disciplines and OSM/VISTA programs.
Participants are required to meet the admissions requirements for one of the participating Masters of Science programs and be accepted into a participating MS degree programs.
The OSM/VISTA - Michigan Technological University Masters Program operates as follows:
- 1. OSM/VISTA Participants will complete one year of service with the OSM/VISTA Teams.
- 2. Upon the completion of the participant's first year and upon acceptance to a MS degree program at Michigan Tech, the participant will then attend Michigan Tech for one academic year. In some cases, based on the prior academic background of the student, additional time on campus may be required.
- 3. Following the participant's year of study at Michigan Tech, the participant will then complete a second year of service with the OSM/VISTA Teams at a site that addresses the participant's academic area of study (dependent upon availability).
- 4. After the participant's second year of service with the OSM/VISTA Teams, the participant will return to Michigan Tech for one semester to complete his/her MS degree.
Education awards earned from the two years of service will closely match tuition. Participants will also be eligible for scholarships and financial assistance. Michigan Tech will pay for the participant's tuition while the participant serves on the OSM/VISTA Teams.
Areas of Study
Participants will apply to one of the MS degree programs in the following disciplines:
- Master of Science in Forestry
- Master of Science in Applied Ecology
- Master of Science in Forest Ecology and Management
- Master of Science in Biological Sciences
- Master of Science in Industrial Archaeology
- Master of Science in Environmental Policy
For more information, visit the MTU website at http://www.mtu.edu/gradschool/programs/degrees/osm-vista/