Become a community sponsor for an OSM/VISTA
"We have had three OSM/VISTAs over the last 5 years. These positions provide us with a shot in the arm that we need to continue to work in impoverished communities. If my organization could secure the funding to sponsor more than one OSM/VISTA, we most certainly would." -- Robert Hughes, Executive Director, EPCAMR
The Appalachian Coal Country Team (ACCT) functions as an umbrella organization, providing watershed/community improvement groups in Appalachia with OSM/VISTA Volunteers, Summer Interns and Summer Associates to promote economic development and environmental change at the grassroots level. Learn more about the ACCT and OSM/VISTAs here.
Local organizations that partner with the ACCT receive an OSM/VISTA Volunteer Project for a total of three years and enjoy the support that the Team provides: training, informational resources, access to a network of peer organizations and more.
To sponsor an OSM/VISTA, an organization must:
- Be a 501(c)3 non-profit organization (or have the sponsorship of a non-profit or other local agency — such as a Soil & Water Conservation District, County Commission, a local RC&D, etc).
- Demonstrate the capacity for effective supervision and support for an OSM/VISTA member.
- Develop a project work plan that reflects the Coal Country Team's Core Goals.
- Sign a Memorandum of Agreement.
- Be able and willing to pay the fringe cost of hosting an OSM/VISTA Volunteer (travel, office, mailing, printing, etc).
We encourage you to contact the ACCT to discuss whether or not this opportunity is right for your community. Contact:
*further instructions given in Step 1 document
Step 1: Application - A narrative of your organization, your community's need, the logistics of OSM/VISTA sponsorship, and the goals of your project.
Step 2: Project Plan - A 3-year plan that documents the activities and objectives for each year of the VISTA project, the measurable outcomes and deliverables, and describes a path toward organizational sustainability.
Step 3: VAD - The VISTA Assignment Description (VAD) lays out the activities conducted by the OSM/VISTA during their term of service.